Wednesday, May 9, 2012

I Seek a Form by Ruben Dario

"I seek a form that my styled cannot discover,
a bud of thought that wants to be a rose..."

This poem is brief but meaningful. These first two lines make me think of writers block for some reason. I think he is describing the moment of having a thought on the tip of your tongue, and then you lose it or can't completely grasp it. I love his use of the Venus de Milo in describing an impossible embrace. This statue has no arms. I just love that image. I think he is expressing the imperfection of writing. I feel as though whenever you start writing something, you have certain expectations of how it will turn out. Then the writing process begins and is full of stops and getting stuck along the way. I think the poem embodies this phenomena of knowing what you want to say, but not being able to find the words.

No comments:

Post a Comment